Marriage on a Tourist Visa

Is it possible to enter the United States on a tourist visa and get married?

The short answer is yes, it is possible. There isn’t anything in the law that prohibits you from doing that. However, even though it is possible, there are some problems that a couple can encounter if they try to go down this path of getting married in the United States.

The tourist visa is considered a non-immigrant visa and that means your intent is to come to the United States for a short period of time for a specific purpose. For example, having a tourist visa means that you’re coming here to visit or a student visa means you’re coming here to study.

You don’t have that immigrant intent of actually coming and living in the United States long-term. With that in mind, a couple can have an issue if one enters the United States on a tourist visa to get married and then remain in the United States to file for their green card while living in the United States.

That isn’t lawfully allowed because if you’re entering with that intention on a non-immigrant visa then that can be considered immigration fraud or misrepresentation. That can have serious consequences and also prevent you from being able to receive your green card and live in the United States.

Immigration is extremely overwhelming especially for couples who are just starting out in their immigration journey. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and confused, you can check out our free resource center.

See: Complimentary Resource Center

We also have a free marriage green card webinar that walks you through options that are available and helps you to pick out a path that can be the fastest path for your specific case.

Leave a Comment